Surf was really up!
Removing water in church flood
When this active church in Creek County held Vacation Bible School this summer, they really got into it!
The walls and rooms were creatively decorated with water scenes, sea creatures, beach settings, and surfing themed messages. On the last day of classes, the discovery was made that a toilet had malfunctioned, causing a flood of water to cascade into several rooms, creating a very realistic aquatic environment. Realizing that catching a wave inside the building was probably not a desirable activity for the children, staff wisely called SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow. The team came quickly to access the damage, extract the water, stage equipment, then return after VBS ended to place equipment and begin the drying process.
Whenever you discover an unexpected water feature in your home or business, know that you can call on SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow. We are ready for whatever happens and are always here to help!
Are you as smart as a five-year old?
This is where it is wet.
Recently, a very bright girl who happens to be only five years old discovered very wet carpet in her closet while she and her mom were picking up her toys. This girl immediately stated that they needed to call SERVPRO right then. She got the number from her mother and called SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow to relay her desperate situation. Abigail cheerfully took down her information and reassured her that the problem would be addressed right away. This remarkable child also drew a diagram of the water saturating her closet floor to aid with the inspection.
Now, listen. If a five year old child is smart enough to know that SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow is the best choice to call for a water emergency, don't you think you can do the same?
Give us a call for your unexpected emergencies. Don't allow a five year old to outsmart you!
Blame it on the weather
When it rains, it pours (sometimes where you least expect it)
Sometimes, when it rains, it pours. I grew up hearing this oft-repeated saying, but did not fully understand how true it is until experiencing it many times as an adult.
Oklahoma is no stranger to the truth of this "feast or famine" realization. Within the last few weeks, we who dwell in Oklahoma's beautiful Green Country have felt the effects of Thunderstorms, high winds and a deluge of rain.
This business in Tulsa County discovered that a recent storm revealed a deficiency in their roof. Water from the rain affected the ceilings, walls, floors and contents of multiple offices.
They called upon SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow to evaluate the extent of water damage, extract water from the floors, set up equipment to dry, and monitor daily, removing equipment as the drying process got the building back to preloss condition.
Give us a call. We are always ready to help!
Need to know what to do
Water heater line leak in Jenks business.
I have memories from childhood of having fire drills, tornado drills and even enemy attack drills (growing up in the 60's, that was part of our "this could happen" mentality). Today, we still have potential emergencies that could happen at any time. We don't need to live in fear or apprehension, but being ready for whatever happens gains confidence when facing the unexpected.
One of the beneficial services that the SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow team offers is preparing an Emergency Readiness Profile of your home or business. When an ERP is prepared, a SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow Team member visits your establishment and assists in helping you know what to do if facing an emergency.
A bank in Jenks recently experienced a water heater line failure, affecting multiple floors. They knew to call SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow and the team responded quickly to assist the bank to get back to business as usual.
Call us today to schedule a free ERP to be a tool you can use when facing an emergency. It should give you a bit of peace of mind, having thought through the process.
Free Continuing Education Class- Understanding Mold in the Restoration Industry
Behind the walls, suspected mold was thriving.
We truly love to help! One of the ways SERVPRO has learned to help others is sponsoring Continuing Education classes. SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow is pleased to offer two free classes this winter. On Monday, March 5, 2018, at the beautiful, brand new Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center at 200 West Albany in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.
Registration begins at 7:30 AM for the Understanding Mold in the Restoration Industry. The class will begin promptly at 8:00 and end at 10:00.
Promptly at 10:15 AM, the class for Mitigation Awareness and Response Seminar will begin and end at 12:15 PM. Each class is worth 2 credit hours each for insurance agents and adjusters.
Please call 918-250-2300 by February 15, 2018 to sign up!
Only you can prevent....
Teach your children well.
While we cannot prevent all bad things from happening, we do have the responsibility and ability to practice common sense safeguards that will minimize the risk of a crisis. Taking precautions to limit the risk of a fire is worth re-evaluating regularly. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of.....
My recent water bill reminded me that cooking is a leading cause of winter fires in homes.
- Cooking is not the time to multitask. Stay engaged with the process! Never leave food unattended during frying.
- If the oven or microwave catch fire, turn it off immediately and leave the door closed.
- Test your kitchen smoke alarm and fire extinguisher annually.
- Check appliance cords for fraying and wear.
- Don't do what my mom did (only once) and try to heat pizza in its box inside the oven!
Do what you can to keep cooking safe and uneventful. If something beyond your control should occur, and you experience a fire or smoke damage, remember SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow is always ready to help!
Learn from the past
Scary attempt to drive down the driveway
We all have accumulated many memories. Hopefully, we have stored up many pleasant memories to reflect upon with pleasure and we have grown or learned from the not-so-pleasant ones. Each winter, I am reminded of the infamous ice storm that imprisoned Green Country for several weeks. We knew it was coming, thanks to advances in meteorological technology, allowing us to get somewhat prepared. Our home lost power for 10 days; ice-laden trees and branches fell, blocking us in, but we had plenty of food, and firewood to turn it into an adventure.
Some Oklahomans, however, experienced tragedy. House fires claimed 6 lives; many folks, using generators, sought medical aid for carbon monoxide poisoning.
Should another epic storm paralyze Northeast Oklahoma again, be sure to properly prepare to make your survival a safe one. Be sure you have working smoke detectors and Carbon monoxide detectors. Follow safety practices with candles or fireplaces.
Create happy, or at least safe memories from the next storm event.
Here we are stuck in the middle with...
White in Green Country
December is a memory, but a cold Oklahoma winter is still hanging around for a while. The weather experts have said we are experiencing the coldest days Oklahoma's Green Country has faced in four years. Over the New Year's celebrations, we were able to assist a few homes with unexpected and unwelcome additions to their festivities- water related to freezing temperatures.
We want to remind our neighbors of good practices to avoid getting your feet wet, unexpectedly.
Our coldest months are December through February, so even if you have not prepared, it is prudent to take steps now:
- Be sure garden hoses are disconnected.
- Add insulation (when weather permits) to outside walls, attics and unheated inside areas.
- If it is too cold to caulk windows and doors, consider installing window weather sealing kits for temporary use until Spring.
- Know the location(s) of your water shut off valve(s).
- Leave a cabinet door ajar to expose under sink areas to heated air.
- Leave a slow stream of water running during extreme cold.
- Keep your plumber's phone number and the SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow number handy in case your best efforts fail.
Now that Christmas is over
Have a safe celebration!
We certainly hope you enjoyed a pleasant, memorable Christmas holiday! All of us at SERVPRO of Greater Broken Arrow were able to spend time of fellowship and celebration as a team, and later with our individual families this year.
Now that the holiday is over, it is time for those who put up and decorated a Christmas tree to now plan when to put away the tree, decorations and lights. As you are carefully winding up the lights and any decorations that use electricity, be sure to carefully inspect for signs of fraying, wear and tear. If any wiring or part looks suspicious, consider replacing it. Nobody wants to experience a fire, especially at holiday time.
Prepare for next year as you store the holiday gear.
It all adds up
If I were a duck...
Oklahoma has had a season of dry and mostly mild weather for over a month, (which has allowed us to get many outside chores accomplished). The ground has dried considerably and hardened. The last couple of days, and currently, we are enjoying the life-giving blessing of moisture.
Weather forecasters say outside could become less enjoyable as the temperatures drop, while the rain turns to sleet, and possibly snow.
With the ground being hard, the rain is not being absorbed by the ground very rapidly, creating puddles. Pooling water threatens to invade your home or work place.
Another threat created by the pools of water as the temperature drops and freezes is a slip or driving hazard- so please be careful! No one wants to visit the emergency room!